Coulbourn Farm location indicated by red barn icon, shown here on the northeasterly portion of this 1877 map of the area
coulbourn farm & local history
Coulbourn Farm was created from five land parcels bought by Mr. and Mrs. Robert H. Powell between 1850 and 1882. The land was transferred from owners Purnell, Franklin, Bailey, and Shockley and was known by various historical names, including Wickers Neck (1695), Timothy's Point (1731), Hogg Quarter (1742), Sturges Addition to Timothy's Point (1761), and Castle Green (date not yet found). For context, Somerset County was established in 1666, Worcester County was formed from Somerset in 1742, and Wicomico was created in 1867 from parts of Worcester and Somerset.
In 1877, Lake, Griffin & Stevenson from Philadelphia published the Atlas of Wicomico, Somerset, and Worcester Counties, MD. The Atlas is arranged by Election District, the map shown above is found on page 57, the Coulbourn District, namesake of Coulbourn Farm. Note the location near Mount Zion M.P. Church of Reverend R.H. Powell, who assembled Coulbourn Farm as it is situated today.
The above 1877 Atlas shows a river ford historically known as Givans Crossing, a former crossing point on the Pocomoke River. It is not called out by this name, but reference the mark of 363 rods (1.1 miles) measuring the distance from the intersection of Shockley and Laws Roads to the river. To reach it, travelers would go across Coulbourn Farm on a dirt road south of the house, navigate the earthen causeway through the cypress swamp (often flooded in winter), and ford the river at a wide sandy area. After crossing the river, there’s more low ground before reaching another dirt road that eventually leads to Five Mile Branch Road in Newark.
THE STORY on the farm buildings
Members of the Cropper family believe the farmhouse was built in three sections. The main part, which includes the dining room, front stairs, and second floor, was likely built in the late 1800s by Mr. and Mrs. Powell. The first addition on the front left was likely completed by the Givans family, who owned it from 1889 to 1917. The second addition, which includes the kitchen and a second story, was preformed either by the families Disharoon (owners 1917-1925) or Laws (owners 1925-1959). Mr. Laws added plumbing and a bathroom for his ailing wife in the late ‘50s.
The Cropper family were stewards to the farm for six decades from January 1959 to December 2018, maintaining it with excellence. S. Sydney & Eloise Cropper removed old structures and trees that were failing, updated the remaining outbuildings for the better use of their kids and grandkids, and made extensive updates to the house, also for the enjoyment of the family. Sydney’s wife Eloise was a very talented artist, and with the help of their children, Sydney built a studio for her to better practice her art. Sydney and Eloise also retrofitted and modernized the stables in the mule barn for the use of their grandchildren.
The Barn was likely put up between 1910 and ‘20, during years of prosperity and expansion. The construction of original framing points to something later than the late 1800’s. It was re-sheathed with more modern methods, probably in the 1970’s. The original loft floor was a little over head-height above the bottom floor, and filled every summer with hay. A trolley in the peak of the ceiling carried hay hooks up from a loaded wagon parked in front, through the structure, and piled high in the loft. The Croppers removed the original stables and loft floor from the Barn, then added a large door facing east, new loft floor higher than the original, and poured a concrete floor. The Corn Crib, a slatted white structure located between the house and barn, would have been in use in the early 1900’s. Ears of corn were stored in the crib for feeding through the winter. The Mule Barn or Stable is an older structure than the Venue Barn, possibly built in the late 1800’s.
In December 2018, we were bestowed with the opportunity to purchase Coulbourn Farm from the Cropper family. That winter, we made extensive updates inside the house, and Rob Barbely put on a sharp new black metal roof. After receiving County approval to operate as an Event Venue in 2019, we renovated the barn by removing the loft, an east-facing roll-up door, and some accessory rooms. Rob Barbely re-sawed the old tongue-and-groove loft floor into shiplap lumber, which we used to cover the outer walls of the new corner room and bathrooms. The campfire benches are made from the oak steps that led to the loft. Tin siding saved from another structure on the farm was used throughout the Barn reno.
We set out the first 480 lavender plants in May of 2023 in some sandy, well drained soil on the hills of Coulbourn Farm. Following this, in June of 2024, we harvested our first lavender crop, marking a significant milestone for our farm. To further enhance our production capabilities, we constructed our own copper still, which allows us to efficiently refine the aromatic plant material.